Clotho * Lacheis * Atropos – my knitting life in the hands of the fates
This is a brief tutorial on how to make your flickr feed and other RSS feeds work without upgrading to CSS. You do not need to spend $ to make a basic flickr badge. You need to spend money if you want to do things like customize your sidebar or customize the flickr badge.
To add a flickr feed to your WordPress.Com blog you need to have to do different things in flickr and wordpress, so I’ve written WordPress instructions and Flickr instructions.
1) Login to Flickr
2) Flickr, Go to the “your photos page”. This is going to be in the section marked “You.”
3) At the bottom there is something that says RSS feed.
4) Right click on the word that says Feed and Select “copy the image location.”
5) That’s the line wordpress wants.
2) Go into your presenations section and open up the sidebar widgets.
3) Choose the flickr widget.
4) Drag it into your sidebar.
5) Double click on it.
You need a line that looks something like this from your feed and hopefully you got it from the flickr instructions. “http://www.flickr.com/services/feeds/photos_public.gne?id=36986545@N00&format=rss_200″
5) Paste it into the spot.
6) Save and view your new blog.
For RSS & XML feeds you should once again be in wordpress. This time though you want a RSS widget. In many of the themes you can choose how many RSS feeds you want to use. You should be able to follow the same steps. Now, I don’t know for sure but I think the reason there are separate widgets for RSS feeds and your flickr feed is that they are different types of feeds, since flickr is image based. You always want to right click on the text to get the static html.
I know this works – I tried it for the Word Press feed which I’m about to remove and for the Yarn Harlot XML feed I just added.